Are you skeptical about running on the sand? Research shows that beach running is extremely healthy, especially on soft and dry sand which is a great surface for running. As the surface is soft and not too unstable, there’s almost no chance of getting your ankle or feet injured.
Choosing the best shoes for running on sand can feel like an impossible task – especially if you’ve never run on sand before. Not all sand is created equal; the texture of the sand, the material and construction of the sole, and the weight of the shoe all have to be considered to make desicion.
Yet, you never know if your nearby beach has sand that’s more on the unstable side. Therefore, wearing the shoes for running on sand is very much important for additional stability, support, and protection. So, if you’re looking for a new pair of sand running shoes, keep on reading!
Top 5 Shoes Comparison Chart For Running on Sand Dunes
Best Shoes for Running on Sand: Top 5 Reviews
UBFEN Barefoot Water Running Shoes
- STRETCHY MATERIALS:The smooth fabrics with fine stretch on uppers are easy to get on and off.It is light and feels like you just have socks on,but thick enough to protect your feet.
- DURABLE SOLE:The new updated sole features great wearing resistance and duration.The convex dots on solo enhances ability of anti-skid, giving strong friction when waking.
- FLEXIBLE TWIST AND LOOP:Our swim shoes are easily carry, no matter you go to river, sea, lake and ocean to play, you can take our swimming shoes with you.
- SPECIAL FEATURES:These fishing shoes walk like normal shoes with several holes on each bottom to ensure proper water flow out of them. The holes would not be big enough to allow sands or rocks inside.
- OCCASION:The water shoes are perfect for beach, diving, hiking, snorkeling, swimming, pool, running, shower, weight training, boating& sailing, parasailing, kayaking, yoga, dancing, windsurfing, cycling, bathroom, jogging, fishing, beach volleyball, garden, water aerobics, exercises.
Have you heard the name UBFEN? Well, they are one of the best-selling running shoe brands on Amazon! They have mastered designing the best shoes for running on sand. Their Barefoot Men/Women’s Water running shoes are exquisite and incomparable.
The first notable property of these shoes is the super-stretchy and lightweight exterior. The upper is made with smooth fabrics that make the shoes easy to get on and off. You won’t even feel like you’re wearing any shoes as these will hug your feet so that you feel like you’re barefoot. The upper also includes shoelaces that help you adjust the tightness.
UBFEN has upgraded the soles of these shoes to boost their durability and stability. The soles aren’t thin, rather they’re thick enough so your feet are protected the whole time you are running on the beach. The materials of the shoes are so flexible and wear-resistance you can literally twist and bend any way you want, and it won’t even damage the shoes a bit!
Besides the waterproof external materials, these shoes also have breathable holes that are very tiny for sands or rocks to get in but big enough for water to get out. So don’t worry if you’re just visiting the beach to enjoy the sun and the waves instead of running. During running the shoes will provide strong friction, while the convex dots will increase the anti-skid ability.
- Drains out water from inside
- Portable and easy to carry when traveling
- Great wear resistance and durable
- Stability enhancing
- Perfect for any beach occasion
- Easy on/off
- Comes in multiple colors and sizes for both women and men
SIMARI Water Sports and Beach Running Shoes
- BREATHABLE FABRIC: The upper is made of mesh material with stretch, like socks that snug your skin softly and guarantee the breathable and quick-dry experience.
- UNIQUE DESIGN: The design for our product is based on ergonomic principal which has good performance in cushion. Each sole has 8 holes to ensure well in drainage that keep feet-feeling more cooler.
- CONVENIENT WEARING: The elastic-shoelace with locking mechanisms can quickly adjust the loose, and elastic shoes neckline allows you easily put on and take off.
- SAFETY: The soles is made of rubber materials and the unique bump texture design that easily keep balance in slip-place and protect your feet from hot beach or sharp rock.
- Occasions: SIMARI water shoes perfectly suit for beach or water games like swimming, kite surfing, pool, sailing, kayaking, beach volleyball etc. Especially for family outings!
If you want your shoes to feel more like real shoes than socks, SIMARI Water Sports and Beach Running shoes are the way to go! Made with 92% polyester, the upper is made with stretchy mesh material that snugs to your skin and ensure protection from injury. You need that because we all know excessive soft sand can do more harm.
Guaranteed to be breathable, these shoes also have a quick-dry system. As these shoes have cushion infused in them, a unique design following the ergonomic principle was prioritized. Moreover, the elastic shoelaces on top have locking mechanisms that let you customize the shoes’ fitting quickly. For easy entry and take off, the elastic neckline is the winner.
The rubber soles have excellent traction and non-slip resistance. They also have a nice grip to prevent you from slipping. The unique bump texture at the bottom enables balance in slippery or watery surfaces and protects you from getting hurt by sharp rocks or pebbles. Each sole has 8 holes, 16 in total, to drains out the water that got in during your sand running session. Those also allow air permeability that is gonna keep your feet feeling cool all the time.
But what makes the SIMARI shoes stand in the crowd? Their shock absorption capability and cushioning performance, and most importantly the separated protective toe sections. You’ll definitely love how flexible and comfortable these shoes make you feel when you’re sand running in them.
- Topnotch quality
- Adjustable fit
- Comes in various colors
- Suitable for both male and females
- Cushioning feeling ensures extra comfort while running
- Easy on/off
- Super affordable
- Insoles fabric may come off but still usable
Skechers Equalizer Double Play Men’s Slip-On Loafer
Don’t get scared by this ones’ outlook. The Skechers Equalizer Double Play Men’s Slip-On Loafer may look like normal walking shoes, but yes, they’re indeed sand running shoes. The reason we have mentioned this particular one here is that- not everyone wants to get their shoes or feet wet during running at the beach. Some of us just want to enjoy the soft sand that is kind to the ankle and your overall feet.
The one-piece fabric upper is made with 100% Sketch Knit Mesh. The Engineered upper has some solid stabilizing panels and some cooling ventilating panels that cool down your feet when they start to get hot. The stitching accents on the shoes are also flawless. Just slip them on for a sporty comfort feeling and enjoy the sand running.
Moreover, these shoes feature padded collars that are very supportive of your ankles. Getting ankle injury is more common on soft unstable sands than on roads or trails. You’re also getting the full-length gel-infused memory foam insoles for a bouncy feeling every time you take a step.
For better sand running performance, these shoes are offering shock-absorbing FlexSole which are midsoles designed by Skechers especially for extra-protection during running or water-hiking. The synthetic outsoles have Flexible traction. Besides the sandy surfaces, you can also wear them on road. You just gotta love them for their undeniable benefits.
- Dual-side elastic fabric panels ensure an easy fit
- Comes in both wide and regular sizes
- Memory Foam ensures cushioning comfort
- Super comfortable and breathable
- Easy to wash
- Waterproof, but not water-resistant.
- Water drainage system is bad, so avoid walking near the watery edge of the sea beach.
Torotto Womens’/Mens’ Water Swim and Running Shoes
- Highly Wearable: Our surf socks are made of rubber sole which are soft and durable, preventing us from slipping. Furthermore, they can protect our foot from sharp objects when we do outdoor or indoor sports;
- High Quality Fabric: The barefoot swim shoes use comfortable,smooth, flexible, breathable materials, which keep your feet cool and dry.Otherwise, we have designed shoes in different colors and styles, providing ample options to meet your needs;
- Different Feelings: The functions of the water slippers are lightweight, quick-dry,anti-slip, breathable, which lets you have a special experience. And it is very suitable for you to give the aqua shoes as gifts to relatives and friends around you;
- Multiple Occasions: The pool shoes are perfectly used in variable activities, such as sea sports, swimming, surfing, yoga, running, walking, fishing, boating, kayaking, windsurfing, cycling, jogging and so on;
- Quality Services: Before buying, if you have any question, you can email us, we will try our best to help you solve them. After buying, You can contact us if you have any questions about product quality and size problems, we promise to exchange or refund.
You may or may not know the Torotto if it is your first time shopping for Sand running shoes. So let us introduce you to the Torotto Womens’/Mens’ Water Swim and Running Shoes which have a lot to offer. Right off the bat, these shoes look very well-made. The sleek outlook makes the shoes look beautiful.
A piece of super comfortable and breathable fabric is used to make the smooth upper. The upper has a proper quick-drying feature which is very important in beach running shoes. The elasticity of the shoes makes them look just like socks and so it snug to your feet just fine. They’re also very soft and lightweight. You can twist and fold any way you want and it won’t break. The smoothly designed neckline prevents scratches when the wave hits your feet. Moreover, they’re very easy to carry and wear.
The Rubber soles are designed to prevent injury and great for slip resistance. The overall shoe materials are durable, and protect your feet from sharp objects, like rocks, glass, and pebbles, when running on the beach. The holey outsoles provide ventilation and drain out the water that got inside the shoes during running. In a nutshell, these shoes are there to take your sand running experience to a next level.
- Superior quality and design
- Strong outsoles that prevent foot injury
- Great for any occasion
- Nonslip material lets you run freely on the sand
- Comes in multiple colors
- Available for both men and women
Crocs Swiftwater Mesh Wave sand Running Shoes
- ATHLETIC, ADVENTUROUS AND AMPHIBIOUS: The Swiftwater Mesh Wave Sandals for men are one of Crocs' most active, water-friendly styles to date The sandals have a sporty and minimal design that allows you to move through life swiftly
- WATER-FRIENDLY: The Crocs men's water sandals are water-friendly and have siped outsoles designed to channel water away in rapid fashion These water sandals for men are great as an all-purpose sandal and are as adventurous as you dare to be
- ICONIC COMFORT: From water relaxation to land exploration, these mesh outdoor sandals for men are flexible and made of Croslite material for Iconic Crocs Comfort These men's sandals have mesh uppers and an adjustable strap for best fit
- LIGHTWEIGHT: These Crocs sandals for men are incredibly lightweight and fun to wear The flexible material and toe coverage are perfect for when you're on the go or just hangin' out in these closed-toe sandals for men
- CROCS SANDALS FOR MEN: These men's sandals have a sporty design that includes flex grooves on the outsoles for increased traction These are the activity-inspired Crocs sandals men need to keep up with all of life's adventures
Many of you own at least one of the traditional Crocs. But do you have their sand running shoes? If you don’t, you’ve come to the right place! Today we have the Crocs Swiftwater Mesh Wave closed-toe sandals that work like a dream for beach running. Here’s why.
First and foremost, the Crocs Swiftwater has a water-friendly style that is up to date. They have adjustable straps that ensure a customized fit. They have stretchy mesh uppers that are super breathable. Because of being super lightweight, these all-purpose sandals are extremely flexible and soft. The uppers have ports that help to shed debris and water quickly. Also, the shoes have toe coverage which is perfect for some additional protection when you’re running or walking.
These running sandals/shoes have a sporty design. The outsoles with the herringbone pattern include the flex grooves that maximize the traction and grip. The siped outsoles are also designed to channel water away fast. These water shoes are great for all-purpose, adventurous, and versatile as you want them to be. So feel the Iconic Crocs comfort when you run on the sand in them. Plus, the Croslite™ foam will not absorb any water. You can feel your ultimate freedom in the Crocs Swiftwater and enjoy the 360-degree comfort no matter what.
- Legendary cushioning offers all day long comfort
- Provides balance and support
- Gives you the necessary stability
- Easy to carry
- Fits any foot shape just fine
- Available in three colors
- Can be found in any size
- Might not be suitable for women
What to look for in the best shoes for running on Sand?
Hollywood may show sand running in movies so pleasing and peaceful, but in reality, it’s one one of the most critical activity. Your first concern may be water and sand getting inside the shoes and eventually running and walking will get uncomfortable. Hence you need the best shoes for running on sand so you can avoid such problems. So before you buy your next pair, here are a few things you need to keep in mind:
Snug fit mesh upper:
Look for a pair of shoes that have mesh uppers. The upper needs to fit tightly (not uncomfortably). As we know the mesh is porous, the water will get in or out easily from the shoes. The water won’t stay stuck and will get drained out easily. For a better snug fit, go for a pair that offers shoelaces for a more personalized fit. Waterproof and water-resistance uppers are another factor you must have in your sand running shoes.
Thin rubber soles:
Waterproof thin rubber soles are important for sand running because the surface is softer than usual surfaces. If you wear shoes with bulky rubber, you won’t be able to enjoy the benefit of running on the sand. Hence you need soles that will give you a barefoot feeling. The unstable sand will react to shoes like these nicely and give you the necessary stability whenever and however you want. But make sure the soles are firm enough so you won’t get hurt by small and sharp rocks.
Ventilation is another important factor for sand running. If you’re running on a hot summer day, remember sand gets very hot. So you need shoes that can ventilate hot air outside the shoes. You should also look for holey upper and soles, that will drain out the water fast and keep your feet dry and cool.
If you can keep an eye on these things during buying your sand running shoes, you will definitely find your suitable pair and enjoy the beach run during sunrise or sunset.
How to safely run on the sand with shoes without getting hurt?
According to podiatrists, running on sand requires more energy. As you need different muscles to run on the sand, you’re more prone to getting hurt or getting an ankle or knee injury. Therefore, being extra careful should be your main concern while enjoying the run. Here’s how you can stay safe during your sand running:
Look for a flat surface:
After you drive to your nearby beach, look for ground that looks flat to you. Once you find that start walking there to check properly and then start your run. You need to do this because sloped ground makes you fall and injure your ankles and knees.
Dry or Wet sand?:
Dry soft sand absorbs your energy and so you don’t feel the energy return while running on it. On the other hand, wet sand is firm and denser. So if it’s your first time running on the sand, start with wet, firm sand and then slowly work your way to soft dry sand.
Don’t increase your speed:
If you feel like you’re unable to run at your usual speed than you do on pavement or on treadmills, it’s because sand prevents it from doing so. We recommend you not to increase your speed by generating more force and don’t be stressed about it. Keep it slow and steady for safety purposes.
Wear the right sand running shoes:
Not all beaches have the same type of sand, before buying your sand running shoes, check the type of beach sand and you’ll understand which high-performing sand running shoes you’ll need.
Skin protection and hydration:
As beaches are usually sunny, don’t forget to put on at least SPF 30+ before going to the beach. Pack a bottle of water and keep it with you while you run. Stay hydrated properly to avoid heatstroke and dehydration.
These are some of the steps you need to follow during your sand running. Follow all of them to be extra safe so that there’s no way you’ll get injured or hurt yourself.
It is not every day you come across the suggestions of the best shoes for running on sand. The shoes we have mentioned have been experimented with and trialed by professionals and surfers and they have absolutely loved them. So, if your trail or road running is getting a little boring, grab one of these pairs today and go for the sand running you always wished for. Good Luck!